Monroe volunteer firefighters celebrated a significant milestone during the Bicentennial/Memorial Day Parade Sunday. The fire company turns 100 this year and members marched behind their anniversary banner. A float honored the MVFD’s retired volunteers and its shined up apparatus was on full display.
Established in 1923, when it set up temporary operations at Herbie Johnson’s barn, the Monroe Volunteer Fire Department is the second oldest fire company in town (The Stepney Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1917.) The town is also served by the Stevenson Volunteer Fire Department.
Here are some images of MVFD members during Sunday’s parade: