Second Monroe resident victimized by mail heist at U.S. Postal Service

Print More

A small business owner told police someone altered and cashed a $6,000 check. It was the second fraud complaint since a large drive-thru mailbox was broken into at the US. Postal Service on Monroe Turnpike last week. All the mail inside was stolen.

The victim had placed two checks in the mailbox on Oct. 15. Last Thursday, a Georges Lane woman filed a similar fraud complaint.

Lt. Stephen C0rrone said the Post Office theft is an ongoing problem in the region. Police are working together with the United States Postal Inspection Service in investigating the theft.

In a Facebook post, the Monroe Police Department asked residents who dropped mail in the drive-thru mailbox at the 270 Monroe Turnpike facility after 4 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 14, and before 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 15, to monitor their accounts for fraudulent activity and to report any instance of fraud to them.

The non-emergency number for the Monroe Police Department is 203-261-3622.

Mail truck hits a pedestrian

A U.S. Postal Service employee was driving her truck south on Wheeler Road late Friday morning, when she turned right onto Glen Hollow Drive, where two pedestrians were walking. Police said the driver accidentally hit one of them with the right bumper of her truck, knocking over both of them.

The pedestrians walked back home and the driver called police, who contacted the Monroe Emergency Medical Service to evaluate the woman who was hit and take her to Bridgeport Hospital with a lower body injury.

The driver, Tracey Carol Joseph-Warner, 42, of Bridgeport, told police she did not see the pedestrians because of a large bush at the intersection, according to the report. She was not charged in the incident.

The woman who was struck said she was walking away from the intersection and did not see the mail truck round the corner.

Soccer field vandalized

Two juveniles were seen doing donuts on the Monroe Elementary School soccer field in an ATV Saturday afternoon, creating an estimated $4,875 worth of damage.

Police said the juveniles were both issued a misdemeanor summons for third-degree criminal mischief.

Evading arrest

A Bridgeport man was charged with evading after allegedly leaving the scene of a two-vehicle-crash in his Infinity Sedan Monday afternoon.

A police officer stopped a car traveling on Main Street that fit the description of the vehicle that did not stop after the crash. Police said it had right-side passenger damage.

The driver, Anthony Carter, 28, of 980 Lindley St., denied being involved in the crash at first, before admitting it, but telling officers the other driver cut him off, according to police.

Carter was charged with driving with a suspended license, evading responsibility, failure to obey state traffic signs and possession of less-than-half-an-ounce of marijuana. He was released on $500 bond for an Oct. 29 court date.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *