One firefighter injured battling a barn blaze on Wheeler Road

This screenshot shows firefighters response to a barn fire on Wheeler Road Saturday night.

MONROE, CT — One firefighter was taken to the hospital with injuries and later released after battling a blaze at a barn in the 400-block of Wheeler Road Saturday night.

A dog escaped uninjured and nine of 10 vehicles were saved as firefighters from Monroe, Stepney and Stevenson quickly attacked the fire in the two-story barn with attached garages, according to a post on the Monroe Volunteer Fire Department’s Facebook page. The call came in at 10:30 p.m.

The Monroe Volunteer Emergency Medical Service, which also responded to the call, transported the injured firefighter to the hospital.

The cause was accidental in nature due to a heating source, firefighters said, adding it was stubborn to extinguish. Crews operated on scene until 3 a.m. and then had several hours of clean up as hoses and equipment had become frozen.

White Hills, Huntington and Botsford fire companies assisted on scene with Oxford and other companies covering the town’s empty fire stations. The Monroe Department of Public Works assisted with ice management.

Firefighters shared this video in their Facebook post:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

The Monroe Sun covers all of the news of Monroe, CT

Follow Us

© Copyright 2023, The Monroe Sun LLC