Monroe Police Reports: Two-vehicle-crash, thief poses as FedEx deliveryman …

This photo of the Toyota Avalon involved in a two-vehicle crash on Monroe Turnpike Friday was originally post on the Monroe Volunteer Fire Department No.1 Inc. Facebook page.

MONROE, CT — An 85-year-old Monroe man was hospitalized following a two-vehicle-crash in the 530-block of Monroe Turnpike Friday afternoon.

In a post on the Monroe Volunteer Fire Department’s Facebook page, firefighters said the driver was unconscious when they got him out of his green 2003 Toyota Avalon. The other driver, a 67-year-old Newtown man, was treated at the scene by Monroe Volunteer Emergency Medical Service personnel, but declined a trip to a hospital, police said.

At approximately 12:36 p.m., police said the Monroe man was heading north on Route 111 in his Toyota when he crossed over the center line and struck the driver’s side of a silver 2018 Honda Civic heading south.

Police said the Avalon continued traveling in the south lane, before striking the curb and coming to rest after slamming into a utility pole head on.

The Monroe driver suffered injuries and did not appear to have been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, according to police.

The driver of the Honda told officers he was driving south when the Toyota Avalon crossed into his lane. He tried to avoid it, but could not, police said.

Neither driver was cited for the accident and both vehicles were towed due to disabling damage.

Thief poses as FedEx deliveryman

A 59-year-old Knorr Road man told police his $1,200 iPhone 15 Pro Max was delivered to his home Friday afternoon. Then his security camera recorded a gold car driving by the front of his house minutes later.

The car turned around and a large male wearing a FedEx uniform got out, walked up to the front door and took the box with the iPhone, according to the report.

The package was delivered at 4:15 p.m. and stolen around 4:34 p.m.

Police said it is not uncommon for delivery trucks to be followed by criminals, and recommended ordering items that require a signature.

Facebook scam

A Monroe woman told police she fell victim to an online scam after spending $1,150 on items that were never delivered, according to a complaint filed Friday.

She told police she saw a Facebook post from a friend selling the merchandise, but later learned her friend’s account had been hacked.

Using her Venmo account, the victim spent $350 on a trampoline and a refrigerator, $500 for a Kubota excavator with a trailer, and $300 for a hot tub and a waterslide, according to the report.

“This is a common scam,” said Lt. Kevin McKellick. “If the prices appear to be too good to be true, they probably are. If you receive notification from a friend, or a friend of a friend, confirm it with the actual person. Don’t confirm it over Facebook. Call them or text them to make sure it is the actual person.”

Police said the money was transferred to an M&T Bank account. The victim managed to get $850 reimbursed by Venmo.

The Monroe Police Detective Bureau is investigating.

Thieves are active

Thieves targeting vehicles in town neighborhoods were active Friday night into early Saturday morning.

A Sleepy Hollow Drive man told police a male wearing a mask, a black sweatshirt and gray sweatpants entered his vehicle around 6:23 p.m. Friday, before leaving the neighborhood in a black Audi SUV.

The vehicle passed police officers responding to the call and was seen heading north on Monroe Turnpike, toward Route 34, police said.

The Monroe Police Department notified police in Newtown and Oxford about the SUV.

Police said nothing appeared to have been stolen from the Sleepy Hollow Drive resident’s vehicle. The case is still under investigation.

Hours later, a Hillcrest Road man told police he heard his car alarm and some noises outside his home around 1:39 a.m. Saturday, adding he opened his front door to startle the thieves.

Police said he saw two males run off. One wore a checkered shirt or sweatshirt and the other wore a black sweatshirt.

The suspects were already gone when police arrived, and officers checked the area to no avail.

All respectful comments with the commenter’s first and last name are welcome.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

The Monroe Sun covers all of the news of Monroe, CT

Follow Us

© Copyright 2023, The Monroe Sun LLC