MONROE, CT — First Selectman Ken Kellogg says the latest Connecticut Department of Public Health report shows 72 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID- 19 in Monroe, of which five residents tragically lost their lives.
However, all of the news is not bad, according Kellogg’s update issued Sunday evening. He said town officials are seeing encouraging signs from social distancing efforts.
“Case rates by population in Monroe remain among the lowest in Fairfield County,” Kellogg said. “In both Fairfield County and statewide, the total number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 has continued to drop.”
The first selectman also included a recap of announcements from last week:
- The Town Council voted unanimously to adopt a Low Interest Rate Program for tax payments which will become due on July 1, 2020. Tax Collector Deborah Heim will provide more detailed information to taxpayers as it gets closer to July.
- Roughly two weeks ago, Kellogg started discussions with state and local officials regarding Monroe’s long-term recovery. While he said the town first must address public health concerns, Kellogg said residents must also be prepared to position Monroe for a strong recovery for their community and the local economy. “As we continue to plan in this regard, I will be sharing more details in the future,” he said.
- While the state indicated plans are being made for the future easing of restrictions, Kellogg asks residents to remember all the current the rules, including use of masks in public, social distancing and limitations on gatherings, remain in effect until at least May 20.