Monroe driver escapes injury after crash into utility pole on Fan Hill Road

MONROE, CT — A local man was not injured after crashing his Dodge Charger into a utility pole in the 90-block of Fan Hill Road Saturday, but was charged with a DUI, according to police.

Albert Forno, 24, of 240 Shelton Road in Monroe, was charged with driving under the influence, failure to maintain the established lane and traveling too fast for conditions. He was released on $500 bond for a Dec. 22 court date.

At 7:26 p.m., police received a call about a vehicle striking a utility pole. Police said an officer responding to the call smelled the odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from Forno’s vehicle, while talking to him at the scene, adding Forno did not perform field sobriety tests to standard, leading to the charges.

There was no damage to the utility pole, but heavy impact damage to the driver’s side of the Dodge Charger, police said.

DUI on Route 111

Police charged a Shelton man with DUI on Monroe Turnpike (Route 111) Friday night.

At approximately 8:21 p.m., an officer was driving behind a blue Nissan Sentra being driven at a slow rate of speed as they headed north on Route 111, according to police, who said the Nissan crossed the double yellow line several times and the driver had difficulty steering through turns.

The Nissan turned left onto Highland Drive, on the wrong side of the entrance, before stopping at the “keep right” sign, then backing up onto Route 111 again and heading south, police said. The officer turned his vehicle around, followed and initiated a motor vehicle stop.

Police said the officer smelled the heavy odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from inside the Nissan and that the driver, Antonio Madeira, 58, of 67 Stendahl Drive in Shelton, had glossy eyes.

Madeira did not perform field sobriety tests to standard and was charged with illegal operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and failure to maintain the proper lane, according to police.

Madeira disputes the police version of the events leading to his arrest. Bond was set at $500, but the state allows for 10 percent down, so he paid $50 and was released for a Dec. 21 court date.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

The Monroe Sun covers all of the news of Monroe, CT

Follow Us

© Copyright 2023, The Monroe Sun LLC