/

Weekend fire calls include brush fires, a gas leak, tree mishap, crash

MONROE, CT — Town firefighters responded to a brush fire on Hattertown and Judd roads in Newtown with smoke blowing into Monroe, a brush fire on Pastors Walk and a small outdoor burn on Hammertown Road Sunday.

“A good reminder is its brush season, the combination of low humidity, breezy conditions with gusting winds, and lack of ground cover,” said Monroe Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Catalano. “Residents should not be burning outdoors as it can quickly get out of control.”

Catalano said all burning requires a permit from the fire marshal at Town Hall, and people should call the police department before burning to determine if it is allowed or banned for the day.

Among the other fire calls since Friday were:

  • A gas leak on Lazy Brook Road at 5 p.m., Friday. Firefighters attributed the leak to a malfunctioning furnace and metered and ventilated the house.
  • A Lynn Drive resident injured and possibly pinned in a wooded area from a tree cutting accident, around 5 p.m., Friday. A fire crew cut an egress path using a chain saw and assisted EMS and police with patient removal using a stokes rescue basket.
  • A car crash into a tree on Cold Spring Road at midnight on Saturday
  • Stepney firefighters covered for Trumbull, while its firefighters responded to an apartment house fire in their town at 9 a.m. Sunday
  • Firefighters responded to an electrical outlet fire on Christiana Drive, ensured power was secured and checked for extension finding none, at 7:40 a.m. Monday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

Did you hear … ?

MONROE, CT — First Selectman Terry Rooney honored Edward Medaris with a certificate of commendation at…

The Monroe Sun covers all of the news of Monroe, CT

Follow Us

© Copyright 2023, The Monroe Sun LLC